About the job We’re looking for a full-stack (backend and mobile) product software developer to join one of our Flights Marketplace teams and help us build the best travel app, providing Hopper customers with the best experience and lowest prices for their flights. You’ll work with a highly skilled team of technical, data, and product-focused individuals, whose mission is to consistently find and deliver the best travel deals for our customers.
The Flights Marketplace team is responsible for delivering the best user experience in Hopper Android and iOS apps when searching and booking flights. We build the best and most convenient way to search for flights, providing the user with the information needed to help them understand the different options and make an informed choice. Many different classes and options complicate booking flights but we decipher and present all of that in an easy meaningful way. We work on all kinds of filters to help the users slice and dice until they find their best flights. We add products like seats, bags, frequent flyer, check-in, to be the best travel companion, and build compelling merchandising algorithms that offer suitable travel choices to our customers.
Job Responsibilities:• Build innovative consumer experiences on iOS, Android, or through our proprietary backend driven UI framework• Own the features from inception throughout their lifecycle including technical debt and testing• Collaborate with a team of talented engineers to develop innovative user experiences• Handle complex features that will cross system boundaries on the Mobile applications and our rich microservice system• Quickly prototype new ideas and run experiments to identify features that users love• Ideate and execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
• A strong background in Software Engineering ( 5 years +)• Experience in developing user-facing web/mobile applications• Strong sense of ownership and willingness to try new things to help Hopper meet its business goals• Excellent written and spoken communication skills
Preferred qualifications:• Passion for building engaging user experiences• Excelled in an environment with cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Software Developers, and other highly skilled specialists• 4+ years professional experience in iOS development• Good understanding of Swift and the iOS mobile platform• A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs well for our consumers
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper’s valuation is now over $5B, which is more than triple our valuation from early 2020.
- The company grew its revenue by more than 300% YoY in 2021. Hopper’s monthly revenues are now 375% higher than its pre-pandemic high point and Hopper Cloud, Hopper’s new B2B initiative, is already 15% of its revenues and growing.
- According to Apptopia, Hopper was the #1 most downloaded OTA in the US in 2021. The app has over 70 million downloads.
- Hopper’s recovery is faster than the market and its share of the air travel market in North America is now 300% higher than prior to the pandemic, according to MIDT. We are now the 3rd largest air travel agency in North America.
- The company sells over $2B in travel and travel related financial services annually.
- Hopper’s fintech offerings, such as Price Freeze and Rebooking Guarantee, now represent over 70% of its air revenue.
- Given the success of its travel fintech, Hopper recently launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud, where any travel provider can unlock a totally unique revenue stream by seamlessly integrating and offering Hopper’s travel content and fintech products. Hopper Cloud partners include Capital One, Kayak, Marriott, Amadeus, Trip.com, and MakeMyTrip.
The industry opportunity for Hopper Cloud is enormous as projections estimate that if all travel distribution channels offered travel fintech, it could increase the total consumer spend for the sector by $200 billion annually.
And all this recent growth is just the beginning. There are still so many new opportunities we’re excited to tackle in the next year!