Yelp connects millions of people with great local businesses every day, and local businesses know it. More than 191,000 businesses subscribe to Yelp’s advertising products, and those happy customers account for nearly all of our revenue. However, local business advertising is still a rapidly growing market, and there are millions of business owners who’ve claimed their Yelp profile and aren’t customers yet. That’s where you come in.
We’re looking for a savvy and tenacious engineering manager to join our Data Infrastructure organization. The Data Infra ecosystem powers critical machine learning, real-time notifications, sales and marketing engineering, and experimentation and data warehousing use cases across Yelp. You’ll partner with engineering managers, program managers, product managers, and data science leaders to help deliver Yelp’s next generation data infrastructure ecosystem. Our group is located across the UK, Germany and North America, and looks after Yelp’s entire streaming infrastructure (Apache Kafka and Apache Flink) as well as databases (MySQL and Cassandra) and data warehouse (Redshift). You can read more about our infrastructure in the engineering blog.
This opportunity requires you to be located in the United Kingdom.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don’t feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Where You Come In:
- Lead complex technical projects and a team of software engineers.
- Coach and mentor engineers of all experience levels, from new college graduates to senior engineers.
- Help define a long-term roadmap for the team.
- Participate in the hiring process.
- Create and execute major initiatives that have an impact across multiple organizations.
- Evangelize Data Infrastructure best practices across the company.
- Provide transparency and predictability of initiatives for stakeholders.
- Foster and grow a fun, diverse, and inclusive culture that reflects Yelp’s values.
What It Takes to Succeed:
- Previous experience as a manager with excellent people management skills and the ability to hire and grow a talented team of engineers.
- You’re an excellent communicator, and can successfully build relationships and consensus with a broad set of teams and internal stakeholders across various departments.
- Command of your favorite modern programming language: Python, Ruby, Java, Objective-C, C++, etc.
- Experience operating or supporting teams which operate TB scale data warehouses or data lake technologies such as AWS Redshift, AWS Athena/ Apache Presto, AWS S3, etc.
- Comfort working in a Unix environment.
- Ability to participate in 24/7 incident response when necessary.
- You can coordinate initiatives across multiple locations (UK, Germany, and North America).
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, a collaborative team, and a dynamic work environment.
- Competitive salary with eligibility for a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase plan.
- You may also be offered a bonus, Restricted Stock Units, and benefits.
- A competitive benefits package that includes paid time off, wellbeing programs, wellness and remote work reimbursement and more.
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays.
- Regular 3-day Hackathons, bi-weekly learning groups, and productivity spending to support and encourage your career growth.
- Opportunities to participate in digital events and conferences.
- Quarterly team offsites.