Ready to take your engineering leadership career to the next level? Our Engineering Effectiveness group designs, builds, and operates large-scale systems that enable Yelp developers to deliver world-class features. We love to accelerate engineering workflows and deliver great developer experiences as we scale complex, highly reliable systems.
As the Engineering Manager of Yelp’s JVM team, you will lead, coach, and grow a talented team of engineers in building infrastructure to enrich and streamline the Java developer experience. Your team will build developer productivity tools and libraries, as well as help establish best practices to service authors to write high quality, performant, and maintainable code in Java, Scala, and Kotlin. These frameworks will enable developers working on many of our critical systems that power Search, Ads, ML, Data Infra, and Android products.
This opportunity requires you to be located in the United Kingdom.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don't feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Where You Come In:
- Help the team stay productive by removing obstacles and optimizing team processes.
- Coach and mentor engineers of all experience levels, from recent graduates to senior engineers.
- Collaborate with your team, stakeholders, and other Engineering leaders to define and influence a product vision and roadmap.
- Play an essential role in the hiring process, from sourcing and interviewing potential candidates to helping close new hires.
- Support your team as they scale infrastructure to meet demand while keeping an eye on reliability.
What It Takes to Succeed:
- Previous experience as a manager with a “people-first” approach; maintaining a healthy team culture is your priority, and you lead through empathy.
- Great communication skills that you also foster within your own team.
- Experience building JVM systems written in Java, Scala, or Kotlin.
- A technical background that can help your team evaluate trade-offs during design and development.
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, a collaborative team, and a dynamic work environment.
- Competitive salary with eligibility for a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase plan.
- You may also be offered a bonus, Restricted Stock Units, and benefits.
- A competitive benefits package that includes paid time off, wellbeing programs, wellness and remote work reimbursement and more.
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays.
- Regular 3-day Hackathons, bi-weekly learning groups, and productivity spending to support and encourage your career growth.
- Opportunities to participate in digital events and conferences.
- Quarterly team offsites.