Viator is a Tripadvisor company that makes it easy to find and book something you'll love to do. With an industry leading selection of high-quality experiences, Viator gives millions of travellers a month something new to discover, both near and far from home.
We believe that the most memorable experiences are made possible through data-driven insights. As a Principal Data Engineer on the Martech Engineering team, you will be at the forefront of creating innovative solutions that enable our company to harness the power of data to deliver personalized and unforgettable travel experiences to our customers. Join us in shaping the future of travel through cutting-edge data engineering and advanced analytics!
As a Principal Data Engineer on the Viator Martech Engineering team, you will be responsible for designing, building and maintaining the core Martech platform and architecture that supports data-driven decision-making across our digital marketing space. You will collaborate closely with product managers, technical managers, software engineers, and other stakeholders to ensure that data is effectively and efficiently collected, processed, and made usable for marketing purposes. You will play a crucial role in guiding the team in adopting best practices, exploring new technologies, and driving innovation in Martech data engineering. This role is a hybrid position based in either our Oxford or London offices.
What you'll do:
- Work across multiple pods and squads to align and set up a marketing platform architecture supporting the digital marketing ecosystem.
- Take full ownership of architecture and design for the Martech engineering stack.
- Identify gaps in our current designs and lead redesigns of the platform to improve developer velocity and Viator growth.
- Refine and govern our logical and physical data models across the core data warehouse and the Customer Data platforms.
- Work with cross-functional stakeholders in defining and documenting requirements for building high quality and impactful data products.
- Lead the evaluation, implementation and deployment of emerging tools and technologies to improve our productivity as a team and as a business.
- Develop and deliver communication and education plans on Martech data/software engineering capabilities, standards, and processes.
- Be the go-to-person for developers on complex problems for specific engineering solutions.
- Code, test, and document new or modified data systems to create robust and scalable applications for reporting and data analytics.
What you'll need:
- Strong experience around building scalable and distributed software and data systems.
- Strong experience of data and software architecture/designs, especially real time distributed data streaming designs.
- Fair understanding of the Martech ecosystem, primarily around the Customer Data Platform/Customer Relationship management and paid marketing space.
- 5+ years of Data Engineering experience focused on building modern day data pipelines catering to both batch and real time data needs.
- Strong Python, Java or Scala Experience.
- Strong experience in SQL; can write complex, performant, fail-safe queries.
- Experience with Restful APIs.
- Experience with CI/CD processes and platforms.
- Experienced with setting up end to end data platforms in an enterprise environment.
- Hands-on with Cloud computing technology like GCP, AWS, etc.
- Ability to effectively operate both independently and as part of a team.
- Self-motivated with strong problem-solving and self-learning skills.
What would be nice to have:
- Exposure to CDP/ CRM tools like Braze, Segment.
- BigQuery or Google Cloud Experience.
- Understanding of link tracking, pixels/tags, campaign orchestration across multi-channel setup, Google Analytics, SEM/SEO ecosystem, marketing attribution, etc.
- Exposure to DBT.
- Exposure to Apache Airflow or other DAG frameworks is nice to have.
- Exposure to Looker, Tableau, or similar visualisation / business intelligence platform.
- Expertise designing and implementing data pipelines using modern data engineering approach and tools: Spark, PySpark, Java, Docker, cloud native DWH (Snowflake, Redshift), Kafka/Confluence etc.
What you'll get:
Highly competitive salary along with the following:
- Annual performance related bonus
- Generous stock (RSU) award upon joining, with additional awards annually
- Regular salary reviews and excellent career growth opportunities
- Very flexible working hours
- Free meals in the office
- Full family private healthcare and dental
- Excellent contributory pension
- Critical illness and full life cover
- Standard 28 days paid holiday (not including bank holidays), increasing with tenure
- £1050 annual stipend for costs outside the office such as gym membership or home office set up
- “Summer Fridays” scheme allowing extra days off during the summer
- 30 minute call with a recruiter to learn more about the role
- 30 minute technical/functional interview with the hiring manager
- Two one-hour interviews with members of the team, covering technical topics - including some coding - and what you would bring to Viator